One of the headbands I make for Sweet and Sassy are these college hairbows...and I love them!
hot glue gun
heat sealing tool (lighter, wood burner, etc)
needle and thread
3/8" grosgrain ribbon to wrap your headband
7/8" grosgrain ribbon of alternating color for bow
1/4" plastic headband*
*I get asked a LOT where I get my college ribbon....eBay. I have bought 99.9% of my college ribbon from eBay. Not all colleges have ribbon available, some are pretty funny about copyrights. I also buy my plastic headbands from eBay as well. They also sell toddler sized headbands, which are about 12 1/2" end to end...perfect for little heads!
Here we go!
1. Wrap your headband with the 3/8" grosgrain ribbon. I always start it at an angle and just wrap around. Heat-seal each end and hot glue one end of the ribbon to the headband. I leave a tail, as this will wrap around the end of the headband once I am done wrapping the whole thing.
Wrap ribbon around the headband on an angle
Heat-seal the ribbon end before gluing it around the end of the headband.
2. Cut a piece of your college ribbon that includes the mascot and the logo about 1 inch away from each of the printed squares.
3. Heat-seal each ribbon end and fold ends toward the center. Sew together as shown.
4. Take an 8 inch piece of your 7/8" grosgrain ribbon and heat-seal the ends. Sew together the same way as the college ribbon.
5. Stack the college bow on top of the color bow and glue together.
6. Put a bead of glue on the part of the headband you want the center of your bow. Press your bow into place onto the headband.
7. Use a small piece of 3/8" ribbon to wrap around the center of the bow...starting at the back on the headband and wrapping all the way around to the other side. Make sure you heat-seal each end of the ribbon, and don't accidentally burn a hole in your bow! Been there, done that :o)
Finished! I hope this was a helpful tutorial for you to show your team spirit!